Sunflower Seed Cake
So many of you or your family members have nut allergies. I created this lower carbohydrate cake with you in mind.
The wonderful surprise is that the cake ABSOLUTELY stands on its own. I like to use an 8-8 ½ inch springform pan (well -greased) or cupcake tin lined with paper cups. If YOU have dairy allergies, you can use all oil in place of the butter.
- 2/3 cup flour (you can replace up to 1/4 the amount with whole wheat flour)
- 1/2 cup roasted UNSALTED sunflower seeds
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom (or ground ginger)
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda (1/2 into dry mix, ½ into wet mix)
- pinch of salt
- 1/2 stick (4 ounces) of butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup neutral-flavored oil (canola, safflower etc.)
- 1 cup sugar or equivalent GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. sour cream (Low fat is OK, but NOT fat free)
- 1/2 tsp. cider vinegar
3 large eggs at room temperature
- Preheat oven to 350°.
- In a food processor, combine sunflower seeds, salt, and 1/3 cup flour.
- Pulse until the seeds are totally pulverized.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup flour, and spices. Pulse until combined.
- Add baking soda and baking powder and pulse until combined.
- Cream butter and GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and beat until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl. Add vanilla extract.
- Combine the sour cream and vinegar.
- Add remaining 1/2 tsp. of baking soda to sour cream and stir.
- Allow to bubble up.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the eggs and sour cream mixture. Start with the dry.
- Spoon the batter into baking pan and bake for 26-28 minutes (17-22 minutes for cupcakes) or until tester comes out dry from the center.
Note: I often do this a day ahead.
Note: Easiest if you have a stand mixer
Note: MIX ONLY UNTIL JUST INCORPORATED, otherwise you wind up with bread.
Note: I often sprinkle a tablespoon of sunflower seeds over the batter just before baking. It adds visual interest and helps hide the cracks when the cake settles.
Serves 6 or makes 6 cupcakes
Net carbohydrates: 12 grams