Piece of Cake…. Poppy Seed Cake
My friend Nancy (who is a great baker) knocked me over with her version of a poppy seed cake some years ago. It was dense and moist and packed with flavor. To my shock and amazement it was made from a commercial cake mix and instant pudding. That recipe is no longer compatible with my Diabetes budget so I had to figured out a way to make it from scratch. Guess what?...It is still easy and delicious. Unlike ALL of my other cake recipes, this one benefits from a long (4 minute) beating time.
I SUGGEST USING AN 8 INCH SPRING FORM OR SMALL (6-8 cup) BUNDT PAN WELL SPRAYED OR BUTTERED TO AVOID STICKING.
- 2/3 cup flour (you can replace up to 1/4 the amount with whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup toasted almonds, cooled
- Pinch of salt
- 1/4 tsp. ground cardamom (if you can find it) or use ground ginger
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp. baking soda (1/2 into dry mix, ½ into wet mix)
- 3 tbsp. instant SUGAR FREE vanilla pudding
- 4 ounces unsalted butter at room temperature
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil (try a lemon infused olive oil for 1/2 of the total oil)
- 1 cup GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 1 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup Golden sherry (you may substitute low carbohydrate orange juice)
- 2 tbsp. sour cream (Low fat is ok, but NOT fat free)
- 1 tsp. cider vinegar.
- 2 tbsp. Poppy seeds
- Pre heat oven to 350°
Note: I often do this a day ahead
- In a food processor, combine nuts, salt, and 1/3 cup flour. Pulse until the nuts are totally pulverized.
- Add 1/3 cup more flour and cardamom. Pulse until combined.
- Add instant pudding, baking soda and baking powder and pulse until combined.
Note: This is easiest if you have a stand mixer with a whisk attachment
- Cream butter and GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE until light and fluffy.
- Slowly add the oil and beat until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl, and alternately add the dry ingredients and the eggs, starting with the dry.
- Add vanilla and sherry , then whisk on high speed for 4 minutes.
- Combine the remaining 1/2 tsp. of baking soda, vinegar and sour cream and stir into the batter.
- Stir in the poppy seeds
- Spoon into baking pan and bake for 26-28 minutes or until tester comes out dry from the center.
There are all kinds of variations on the flavors for this cake. This is the one to start out with.
Net Carbohydrates per serving: 12 grams