Diabetes-Compatible New Yawk Cheesecake
Once you realize that cheese is NOT the high carbohydrate villain, making a diabetes-compatible cheesecake is…well…a piece of cake. I have eaten hundreds of recipes for NY Cheesecake. This lower carbohydrate version gives me the same taste and texture as the ones I ate as a kid in my family’s restaurant. I am a purist and top it only with almonds to hide the possible cracking. If you like strawberries…use strawberries. Who am I to judge?
Ingredients and Tools
- 8-9 inch Springform pan
- 2/3 cup flour
- 1/3 cup toasted nuts (either almonds, walnuts, or pecans)
- 1/4 cup GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 1 pinch salt
- 1/4 tsp. Cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. baking powder
- 4 tbsp. Butter
- 1 large egg
- 2 8oz. packages cream cheese
- 1/2 cup Ricotta cheese
- 3/4 cup GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 4 tsp. lemon juice + 1 tsp lemon grated lemon zest
- 4 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tbsp. Flour
- Sliced almonds to sprinkle over filling
For the Crust:
For the Filling:
HOW I PREPARE THE RECIPE:
- In the bowl of a food processor, pulse the dry ingredients to mix.
- Cut butter into 8 pieces to distribute in dry ingredients. Pulse until coarse pea sized bits.
- Add egg and continue to pulse until the dough forms a ball that revolves on the blade.
- Remove dough, pat out to a disk and wrap in plastic wrap and refrigerate for 35-45 minutes.
- Roll out on flowered surface to about a 11 inch circle.
- Using your fingers, fit into springform pan.
- Refrigerate for 15-20 minutes before filling.
- In the food processor, combine GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE and ricotta cheese. Pulse until very smooth and combined.
- Add the softened cream cheese and process on high speed until combined.
- Add remaining ingredients and mix until well combined.
- Taste for balance of flavor. Adjust GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE or lemon or vanilla to suit your taste.
- Pour filling into springform. Top with almonds.
- Bake at 325° for 50-55 minutes to one hour, until sides are set but the center is still slightly jiggly.
- Remove and cool completely.
- Refrigerate for 4 hours or overnight.
- Bring to room temperature before serving.
Note: This dough is fragile and will break. Not to worry, just piece it together with your fingers.
Recipe makes 8 slices
Net carbohydrates : 11g. per slice