Yellow cake with Cream Cheese Brownie Frosting
Serves 6 or makes 6 cupcakes
One of my favorite clients in NYC was Zaro’s Bread Basket. They produced the most amazing cream cheese brownies. I could hardly keep my hands off of them. I use the frosting here to get close to that memory. I like to use an 8-8 ½ inch springform pan (well greased) or cupcake tin lined with paper cups.
- 2/3 cup flour (you can replace up to 1/4 the amount with whole wheat flour)
- ½ cup toasted almonds OR 1/3 cup almond flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- * 1/8 tsp. ground cardamom
- 1 tsp. baking powder
- 1 tsp, baking soda (1/2 into dry mix, ½ into wet mix)
- pinch of salt
Cardamom is sometimes hard to find sometimes. If you can find it, it adds a nuance to the cake. I keep my ground cardamom frozen.
- 1/2 – stick (4 ounces) of butter at room temperature
- ¼ cup neutral flavored oil
- 1 cup or equivalent GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 3 large eggs at room temperature
- 2 tsp. pure vanilla extract
- 2 tbsp. sour cream (Low fat is ok BUT NOT fat free)
- ½ tsp. cider vinegar
- 8 ounces cream cheese (can use low fat but NOT Fat free)
- ½ cup GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE
- 2 Tsp. vanilla extract
- 2 TBSP. strong coffee
- 2 TBSP. Hershey’s Special Dark un sweetened cocoa powder
- 1 TBSP. sour cream or vanilla “Greek” style yogurt
- Chopped walnuts or pecans (optional) for decoration and crunch
- Pre heat oven to 350°.
In a food processor:
- Combine nuts, salt, and 1/3 cup flour.
- Pulse until the nuts are totally pulverized.
- Add the remaining 1/3 cup flour, and spices.
- Pulse until combined.
- Add baking soda and baking powder and pulse until combined (I often do this a day ahead).
(Easiest if you have a stand mixer)
- Cream butter and GRANULATED SUGAR SUBSTITUTE until light and fluffy.
- Add the oil and beat until well combined.
- Scrape down the sides of the bowl and add vanilla extract.
- Combine the sour cream and vinegar.
- Add remaining ½ tsp. of baking soda to sour cream and stir.
- Alternately add the dry ingredients and the eggs and sour cream mixture.
Start with the dry. MIX ONLY UNTIL JUST INCORPORATED otherwise you wind up with bread.
- Spoon the batter into baking pan and bake for 26-28 minutes (17-22 minutes for cupcakes) or until tester comes out dry from the center.
- Allow to cool and remove from baking pan before frosting
Preparing the Frosting
- Bring the cream cheese to room temperature (either by leaving out overnight or by removing the cheese from the package and microwaving it for 12 seconds, then turning it a quarter turn and microwave it another 12 seconds, repeating until the cream cheese has softened).
- Beat all ingredients EXCEPT the nuts until smooth.
- Frost cake when it is still slightly warm.
- Sprinkle nuts or a chocolate drizzle over the top.
To keep the serving plate clean, turn cake out on to two pieces of parchment or waxed paper each big enough to cover ½ of the cake. Frost and remove paper before chilling.
Cake: Net carbohydrates 13g.
Frosting: Net carbohydrates 16 per cake or 2.5 per slice