Yields: 8 servings
- 8 Pork chops (1/2 inch thick)
- 1/3 cup All-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup butter or margarine
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cup Apple juice, divided
- 2 lb Small, red potatoes
- 1 lb Small, whole onions
- 1 lb Carrots, peeled cut into 3 inch pie
- 6 to 8 cups shredded cabbage
- Coat pork chops in flour; reserve excess flour.
- In a large dutch oven melt butter over medium-high heat.
- Brown chops on both sides. Season with pepper and salt (as desired).
- Remove and set aside.
- Stir reserved flour into pan; cook and stir until paste forms.
- Gradually wisk in 1 1/2 cups apple juice; blend until smooth.
- Return chops to dutch oven; cover and bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.
- Add potatoes, onions, carrots and remaining apple juice.
- Cover and bake 30 minutes longer.
- Top with cabbage; cover and bake 1 to 1 1/2 hours or until the pork chops are tender, basting occasionally with juices.
One serving prepared with margarine and without additional salt equals: 2 meat, 2 starch, 2 vegetable, 2 1/2 fat.
464 calories, 333 mg. sodium, 56 mg. cholesterol, 43 g. carbohydrate, 19 g. protein, 24 g. fat.
Source: Pat Waymire, Yellow Springs, OH, Country Woman Magazine May/June '93 Posted by: Jim Bodle 11/93
Recipe reviewed by Dietitian Kimberly A. Tessmer, RD LD
In the event that you find that this recipe is not appropriate for diabetics, please contact us and we will review your suggestions.