Hungarian Cabbage Rolls Recipe
- 2 qt Water
- 12 large Green cabbage leaves, about 1 pd.
- 1 cup Cooked carrot, cooked
- 1/4 cup Raw brown rice
- 1 Egg, beaten sightly
- 1 1/2 cup Tomato juice
- 1 medium Onion
- 1/4 tsp Salt
- 1/4 tsp Freshly gound pepper
- 2 cl Garlic, cruched
- Preheat oven to 325 F.
- Boil 2 quarts of water in a large saucepan ordutch oven. Arrange cabbage leaves loosely in pan. Cover and cookover medium heat until cabbage leaves are limp but not soft, about 8minutes. Drain and cool leaves.
- Puree carrot in blender or foodprocessor fitted with steel blade; mix with ground beef, rice, andegg. Spoon 2 tablespoon of the meat mixture onto each leaf. Tuckends in and roll up jelly roll style.
- Place seam side down in 9" by13" baking pan. Pour tomato juice tomatoes, onion slices andseasonings over cabbage rolls. Cover and bake 1 hour; uncover andcook for an additional 30 minutes.
Food exchanges per serving:
2 LEAN MEAT EXCHANGES + 1 STARCHEXCHANGE + 1 VEGETABLE EXCHANGECHO: 20g; PRO: 16g; FAT: 6g; CAL: 197;Low-sodium diet: Omit salt. Substitute unsalted tomatoe juice andunsalted canned tomatoes.
Source: The Art of Cooking for the Diabetic by Mary AbbottHess,R.D.,M.S. and Katharine MiddletonBrought by you and yours via Nancy O'Brion and her Meal Master
Recipe reviewed by Dietitian Kimberly A. Tessmer, RD LD
In the event that you find that this Hungarian Cabbage Rolls recipe is not appropriate for diabetics, please contact us and and we will review your suggestions.