- 2 lbs extra lean ground beef or ground round, uncooked
- 4 lbs potatoes, peeled and sliced 1/4-inch thick
- 1 large onion, sliced
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1 low-sodium beef bouillon cube
- 1 cup hot water
- 1 28-oz can tomatoes with liquid, cut up
- chopped fresh parsley (optional)
- In a Dutch oven, layer half of the meat, potatoes and onion. Sprinkle with half of the pepper. Repeat layers.
- Dissolve bouillon in water; pour over layers. Top with tomatoes.
- Cover and cook over medium heat for 45-50 minutes or until potatoes are tender. Garnish with parsley if desired.
Serving size = 1/10 recipe
- 314 calories
- 8 g fat
- 0 g saturated fat
- 74 mg cholesterol
- 189 mg sodium
- 33 g carbohydrates
- 0 g fiber
- 28 g protein
- 3 lean meat
- 2 starch
Source: Taste of Home Down Home Diabetic Cookbook
Recipe reviewed by Dietitian Kimberly A. Tessmer, RD LD
In the event that you find that this recipe is not appropriate for diabetics, please contact us and we will review your suggestions.