Diabetic Bread Pudding
- 2 cups skim milk
- 4 tbsp margarine, cut into small chunks
- 1 medium egg
- 2 egg whites
- 5 tsp sugar or sweetener
- 1 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/8 tsp ground cloves
- 1 tsp ground mace (optional)
- Dash of salt
- 4 cups cubed, day-old french or italian bread cut into small cubes.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat milk and margarine in medium saucepan until simmering. Remove from heat and stir until margarine is fully melted. Cool for 10 minutes.
- Beat egg and egg whites in large bowl until frothy. Mix in sugar or substitute, spices and salt. Mix milk mixture into egg mixture, then add bread and stir.
- Spoon mixture into a 1 1/2 quart casserole dish (do not grease pan). Place casserole in roasting pan on over rack; add 1 inch hot water. Bake, uncovered until pudding is set. Test with sharp knife inserted in middle of pudding, until it comes out mostly clean, or after 40 to 45 minutes.
Nutritional Information per Serving
- 202 Calories
- 8 g Protein
- 21 g Carbohydrates
- 10 g Fat
- 37 mg Cholesterol
Photo Source: Ambernectar / Flickr
In the event you find this recipe inappropriate for diabetics, please contact us and we will review your suggestions.