Yield: 20 servings
- 1 cup cold water
- 1 cup cold nonfat milk
- 1 egg
- 4 egg whites
- 1/2 teaspoon salt (or less)
- 1 cup sifted all-purpose flour
- 1 cup whole-wheat flour
- 2 Tablespoon vegetable oil
Herb-Cheese Filling Ingredients
- 1 1/2 cup low-fat cottage or ricotta cheese
- 1 green onion, minced
- 1 dash basil
- 1 dash chopped fresh parsley
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- 2 teaspoon margarine
- tomato slices for garnish
Sweet Cheese Filling Ingredients
- 3/4 cup low-fat cottage cheese
- 2 ounces Neufchatel cheese (light cream cheese)
- 2 teaspoons vanilla
- 2 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/4 teaspoons grated lemon peel
- 1 Tablespoon margarine
- 1/2 cup low-fat vanilla yogurt
- 1 cup berries or sliced fruit in season
Preparation for crepes:
- Put cold water, milk, egg, egg whites and salt into blender. Add flours, then oil.
- Blend at top speed, stopping to scrape flour from the sides.
- Cover and refrigerate 2 hours.
- (This is an important step; it allows the flour particles to expand in the liquid and ensures a tender, thin crepe. The batter should have a very light, creamy texture - just thick enough to coat a wooden spoon.)
- For each crepe, heat a 6-inch nonstick frying pan over moderately high heat.
- When hot, pour a scant 1/4 cup of the batter into the skillet; immediately rotate pan until batter covers bottom.
- Cook until light brown; turn and brown the other side. Slide onto a warm plate and proceed in the same manner with the rest of the batter.
- Put waxed paper between the crepes as you stack them. Keep crepes covered to prevent them from drying out.
- Stuff them with your choice of fillings!
Cheese Herb Filling Preparation:
- Mix cheese, onion, and herbs.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Fill each crepe with 3 to 4 Tablespoons of filling.
- In a skillet over medium heat, lightly brown crepes in margarine. Garnish with tomato slices and serve.
- Makes enough for 6 servings of 1/4 cup.
Sweet Cheese Filling Preparation:
- Blend cheeses, vanilla, lemon juice, and peel.
- Fill each crepe with 1/4 cup of the mixture and roll.
- In a nonstick skillet, sauté filled crepes in margarine until lightly browned.
- Top with low-fat yogurt and sliced fruit. Makes 4 servings of 1/4 each.
Recipe reviewed by Dietitian Kimberly A. Tessmer, RD LD
Crepe Food Exchanges per serving: 1 bread
Nutritional Information: (about 65 calories, 8 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 2 grams carbohydrate per serving)
Cheese Herb Filling Food Exchanges per serving: 1 lean meat
Nutritional Information: (about 63 calories, 8 grams protein, 3 grams fat, 2 grams carbohydrate per serving)
Sweet Cheese Filling Food Exchanges per serving: 1 lean meat, 1 fruit, 1 fat
Nutritional Information: (about 160 calories, 8 grams protein, 8 grams fat, 14 grams carbohydrate per serving)
Source: The UCSD Healthy Diet for Diabetes by: Susan Algert, M.S., R.D., Barbara Grasse, R.D., C.D.E., Annie Durning, M.S., R.D. copyright 1990.
In the event that you find that this recipe is not appropriate for diabetics, please contact us and we will review your suggestions.